Demoing your hack is the second critical part of participating in any hackathon. Crushing your demo can make a good hack great and bombing your demo can make a great hack bad. Rob's presentation this afternoon on "How To Crush Your Hackathon Demo" are available on his Github.
Here's a summary:
- Rehearse, rehearse, REHEARSE! - You only have two minutes. Make sure your timing is right.
- Capture your audience in 30 seconds - if you don't get 'em early, you don't get 'em at all.
- Abandon PowerPoint - Deckware is for financial consultants and insurance salesmen. Don't be that guy (or gal).
- Show, don't tell - Let your hack wow the crowd, not your initimate familiarity with 4chan memes.
- Fail gracefully - you wrote this software in 48 hours. There are bugs. Be ready to deal with them.
Demos are the meant to be the most fun part of any hackathon. If you're having fun, the crowd will be able to tell.